How do I install my wired device?
Wiring the device into a vehicle is easy, and requires installation inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
The wired device has a series of wires — you will only need to attach three of these wires to your vehicle (the additional wires are for future features or functions). The three wires you need are: the red wire (power), the longer of the two black wires (ground) and the white wire (ignition sense).
You can check the installation by viewing our Wired Installation Video.
- Find the constant red power wire in your vehicle. Cut and strip this wire.
- Cut and strip the red wire on the FleetSharp device.
- Connect the two red wires and crimp. This connection provides power to the device.
- Connect the FleetSharp black wire to your vehicle’s chassis. This connection serves as a ground for the device.
- Locate the vehicle’s ignition wire (reference the vehicle’s wiring diagram in order to locate).
- Verify the ignition wire by measuring the operating voltage while the key is turned to the ON or START position (the voltage should read 0 VDC when the key is in the o position, and typically between 11V and 14V when in the ON position).
- Connect the white wire on the FleetSharp device to the vehicle's ignition wire. This connection allows the device to report ignition OFF and ON events.
- An optional plastic zip tie is included to secure the device under the vehicle dash with the label that reads “Label Side Down” facing down.
- Allow 5-10 minutes for the device to power up and obtain a cellular and GPS fix. Your vehicle must be outside and not in a covered area so that it will receive GPS signal.
- When working properly, the blue light will blink once every 3 seconds and you will see a blinking green light. You should see your car’s location on the map (may take up to two hours).